Title: The Shadow I live With
Genre(s): Horror & Thriller
Tags: Mystery, Dark, Murder, Secret, Thriller, Suspense
Main Lead: Male
AVB Assessment Score: PDE 2 CDD 2 SWB 2 || TQ 3 SV 2 || Overall: 11 (score explanation)
Number of Chapters: 23
Chapter Length: Medium
Reading Level: Medium
Date of First Release: October 2020
Date of Last Update: April 24, 2021
AVB Reviewed? No
Available on Platform(s): Webnovel
Number of Views: 80.7K
Number of Reviews: 137
Joey Miller doesn’t talk much. He lives in a dark town which carries dark secrets. But those secrets aren’t compared to his own. No one knows that he lives with a shadow…
Unable to bear his life, he flees after an incident that changes everything.
Meanwhile, far in the fields lives Charlotte Quin, who loves to write. But she’s hiding an illness from her family, knowing that they won’t be able to treat it. Then, her simple and plain life in the farm takes a twist when she finds a run-away.
Read how the two meet and struggle with the dangers ahead of them.
Yairy: I am a mystery, murder, thriller connoisseur that enjoys a good book that can give me goosebumps and thrills. Right out of the gate this story captured all that. I love the writing style along with the dialogue. It’s smooth and crafted just to the point to give you a nice chill as you go on with the story. I will update this more as I continue to read it but as of chapter 3, I’m excited to see how it goes.
MatchaMilk: I have to say this is an amazing book full of suspense and thriller which is very well done. You can literally feel the daunting atmosphere and shiver with the characters.
The characters are well-written and feel realistic, not flat.
You can especially feel MC’s emotions vibrantly and experience everything with him, which is a bit scary but thats the purpose.
I can’t help but keep wanting to read more. Fantastic story everyone should give this a try!
RJMidnight: I love horror stories, and yours is interesting while building a scene. I like the writing style and the pacing you have going on; it makes readers want to read more. I really enjoy the ML’s part because his inner thoughts have a darkness to them.
The problems I have is that there are times where you use the “…” that does not flow well in certain sentences because the pause is not needed. And there are a few grammar mistakes, but it does not mess with the conciseness of reading the story.
Other than that, you have a good story going here. Keep up the good work!
xiaohai_23: What I like the most about this story is how the characters are so real. They have human struggles and human solutions (or reactions).
The mc has a conscience but wants to live (understandable), and he copes with what he got the way he can.
The second mc (the fl???) also is really believable and has her priorities and life even before the start of the story (meaning, she wasn’t born just as a decoration to the story, she’s a whole person, not flat).
Grammar is okay, I guess (I’m not the right person to judge that). Vocabulary is broad enough to make you enjoy reading but not too much as to make you stop and check on google what does a word mean, it’s the right balance.
Overall, a good start. If you start this, you’ll find yourself reading on the edge of the chair (or couch, or bed), waiting for the next revelation or big event, your heart pounding as the characters’ at the most thrilling moments 😀
FantasyBliss30: I mean this story is clearly a genius, a gem, simply brilliant. Masterpiece in the making. Easily the best written webnovel I have ever read. It is the kind of winner, that is so clearly a winner that stating it takes away from how good it is.
1. Writing quality: EXCELLENT!! So clean and pristine, you can see your reflection in it. The vocabulary is 100% congruent to the set up. No unnecessarily flowery or convoluted language. Clear, lucid, accurate and succinct sentences and wordings. Flow is great.
2. Stability of updates: regularly updated.
3. Story Development: Best part of the story. The author is master of pacing. They know when to rein back and when to ramp up the pacing. I am taking notes, dear author. Absolutely genius. The story itself is super unique and intriguing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. It is like watching Jordan Peele’s movies. It will make you binge read the entire thing.
4. Character Design: Powerful. The MCs are great. Their characters quirky and unique, yet very very likeable. Their fears, their strengths, motivations, feelings, everything becomes your own. Thank you, author, for introducing me to them.
5. World Background: Superb. For a horror mystery like this, world building and ambience building is key and I am taking notes from the author on how to do it. It is extremely immersive and hooks you right in.
Overall, I am honored and blessed to have read and reviewed this story. I will wait eagerly for every new chapter. Thank you so much and please keep up the great work!!!
P.S. I have recommended your work to my friends. 😀
Story Post Last Updated: May 20, 2021